Vestibular cognitive neuroscience: vestibular and multisensory bases of body self-awareness
- vestibular cortex
- vestibular and somatosensory perceptions
- body representations
- spatial cognition
- self-awareness, body awareness
Principal investigator of the ANR VESTISELF (2020-2023) and the BODILYSELF project “Vestibular and multisensory investigations of bodily self-consciousness” (Career Integration Grant from the FP7 European Union’s Marie Curie program)
My research focuses on multisensory integration and vestibular perception, as well as on sensorimotor adaptations during disorders of the vestibular system (the inner ear).
I study the effects of vestibular stimuli (galvanic and caloric vestibular stimuli, whole-body movement platforms, rotary chairs) on several aspects of body perception and self-awareness (e.g. visual-spatial perspective taking, sense of body ownership, body schema and body image).
These studies are conducted in healthy volunteers, brain-damaged patients, epileptic patients and patients with diseases of the vestibular system, using neuropsychological and functional neuroimaging (electroencephalography, EEG) approaches.
My research combines approaches from cognitive neuroscience, experimental psychology and vestibular physiology. The range of techniques used includes: surface EEG, intracranial EEG (epileptic patients), caloric vestibular stimulation, galvanic vestibular stimulation, VEMPS or vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials, fMRI, psychophysics, videonystagmography, posturography.
Vestibular physiology; vestibular psychophysics; virtual reality; whole body motion platform (Robulab); galvanic vestibular stimulations; electromyography (vestibular myogenic potentials); electroencephalography.
- 2020 – 2023 : ANR (PRC). “VESTISELF – The vestibular system: a hidden sense for a core sense of self”. 48 months. Principal investigator, scientific coordinator (454 727 €). Partners: F. Bartolomei, M. Elzière, B. Lenggenhager.
- 2019 – 2020: FR3C ACI. “Sharing the point of view of others: developmental study of embodied and implicit cognitive mechanisms”. Principal investigator (6 900 €).
- 2015 – 2018 : VolkswagenStiftung. “Finding Perspective: determining the embodiment of perspectival experience”. Co-investigator (€390,800, of which €85,600 managed by the CNRS).
- 2013 – 2017: Career Integration Grant from the FP7 European Union’s Marie Curie program “BODILYSELF” Vestibular and multisensory investigations of bodily self-consciousness. Principal investigator (100 000 euros managed by CNRS).
- 2011 – 2013 : VolkswagenStiftung’s European Platform for Life Sciences, Mind Sciences and the Humanities. “The (Un)bound Body project. Exploring the constraints of embodiment & the limits of body representation”. Co-investigator (90 000 euros).
- Since October 2015: Researcher (CR1 then CRCN) at CNRS / LNSC. Section 26 (Brain, Behaviour, Cognition).
- 2015: Habilitation à diriger des recherches (Sciences)
- 2011-2015: Researcher (CR2) at CNRS / LNIA. Section 26 (Brain, Behaviour, Cognition).
- 2010-2011: Post-doctoral researcher. Laboratory of Cognitive Psychology (Prof. Fred Mast), Department of Psychology, Universität Bern, Switzerland.
- 2006-2009 : Post-doctoral researcher. Laboratory of Cognitive Neuroscience (Prof. Olaf Blanke), Brain-Mind Institute, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 2004-2005: Temporary teaching and research associate in neuroscience. University of Provence, Marseille.
- 2001-2005 : PhD student with a research grant from MENRT. Laboratory of Integrative and Adaptive Neurobiology. University of Provence, Marseille (Dr. M. Lacour ; Dr. L. Borel).
- 2001-2004: Lecturer in higher education. University of Provence, Marseille.
Dr. Christophe Lopez, Hab. Dir. Res.
Researcher at CNRS / Chargé de recherche au CNRS
Follow our lab news on: https://lnsc.fr